Sunday, August 29, 2010

White wine and sour cream risotto with foraged mushrooms

Please forgive me for my recent lack of posts. I was away on holiday. But have returned with lots of ideas to share!

Autumn is definitely encroaching more and more on central Europe. Can't say I am enthusiastic about it, as I feel I haven't taken full advantage of summer yet.

One of the aspects of it I can enjoy, is the beginning of the mushroom season.

This is a dinner that we made after a short walk to forage for mushrooms.

I don't think I need to tell anyone exactly how to make a risotto, so here is a more general approach:
Sweat some finely chopped onion in some butter and olive oil for a minute. Add the risotto rice and stir. Add some white wine to deglaze. When this has evaporated start adding hot bouillon or stock by the ladle. Always wait until the pan is fairly dry before adding the next ladle. Your rice should be done in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Finish it with a little bit of butter, some grated parmesan cheese and a generous helping of sour cream. I added some lemon juice to bring out the tartness of the sour cream too.

Clean your mushrooms, fry them in a hot pan with maybe a little bit of finely chopped garlic. Add some chopped parsley when they're done.

Serve the mushrooms over the risotto.

PS: Leftover risotto tastes really nice formed into a rough patty and fried crispy on both sides in a hot pan with some olive oil.

No comments: