Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Perfect Pizza

Even as a kid I was (ever so slightly) obsessed with food.
Case in point: For my thirteenth birthday I wanted a pizza stone.
This was the product of having spent a night at my godfather's house and witnessing the wonder of thin, crisp and delicious pizzas that his wife produced in their own oven.

Not that it became a regular fixture after that. It was banished to the basement and spent many lonely years there...

But it was rediscovered during my recent move and has spent the last couple of months on a very visible shelf in my new kitchen whispering to me...

Yesterday, for no apparent reason whatsoever, I decided the time had come to give it another go. I have to add here that it was one of the hottest days of the year so far and I am still experiencing hot flashes even though the temperature has gone down ten degrees and an epic storm is looming.

But anyways, I would definitely rate the spontaneous experiment a success! It was the cheat's version I have to admit though... bought dough and no prepared tomato sauce to speak of... That's the beauty of cooking for yourself: No one you have to impress!

Ingredients:
1 packet pizza dough
1 mozzarella, grated
a couple of tomatoes, thinly sliced, maybe even de-seeded
a pinch of oregano
your favorite pizza toppings

The stone needs to preheat in the oven for about 25 minutes set to maximum heat. After that you're good to go. Roll out the pastry, top it however you want and put it onto the stone with your pizzaiolo shovel. It should be ready in 8-10 minutes.
This example has anchovies and a little bit of fresh basil after it comes out of the oven...


This was the beautiful result.

And one slice even aced the cold-pizza test today. Win!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Lovely story, I remember part of it......