Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mexican sweetcorn salad

I found this dish on the pages of Jamie Olivers magazine, which I always buy when I am in the UK as it is so exorbitantly more expensive here in Switzerland. (So are all the other English mags, but that is a rant for another day.)

It had one section with Mexican food which I found a pleasant surprise. I am not really a big fan of Mexican cooking. I have to admit that this impression comes from a limited number of experiences. I think I've just never been to a restaurant that specializes in the freshness aspect as opposed to the too much cheese and a couple of mildly spicy jalapenos. So these recipes were definitely an eye opener.

The one I was most intrigued by was this spicy sweetcorn salad. The flavours are well balanced and I loved using fresh corn from the cob.

Made for two people:
a tsp of olive oil
small knob of butter
one green chili (mine are hotter than hell, taste yours and see of you need more), finely chopped
one small shallot, finely chopped
two cobs of corn, kernels cut off
4 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
one clove of garlic, finely chopped
juice of one lime
a small bunch of coriander, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped

Heat a pan with the oil and butter. When in sizzling add the chili and cook for a minute. Add the corn, shallot and thyme. Sauté over high heat (you don't want it to steam) until the corn turns slightly brown and the shallot translucent. This should take about five minutes. Add your garlic, salt and pepper and cook another couple of minutes.
Take it off the heat and add the lime juice, spring onions and coriander.

You could serve it with sour cream and grated Parmesan. Haven't tried that yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Laura

I had this made for me by a dear friend. And you are right; it was delicious!!!

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more posts!

Elena

Laura said...

Anytime!

Thanks for commenting! You're the best.