Sunday, April 11, 2010

Homegrown tea

Surviving the first week of a challenging new job seems to have a similar effect as surviving grueling exams back at university. An illness of some ilk is sure to follow.

So while I am feeling utterly miserable, the few advantages of being sick in spring, and not in the depths of winter, are not lost on me.
I could, if bundled up to a sufficient degree, sit outside and let the sunshine, smells, sights and birdsong work some healing magic. (Not feeling particularly inclined at the moment.)
But what I definitely will do is take advantage of the first harvest of the 2010 growing season!


I have a special affection for herbs that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. Mint is probably the most widely used of these. I love making sweet drinks and desserts with it. But think it is even better in salads like Tabbouleh.*

As you can see in the pictures this plant reemerges from apparent death after even the coldest of winters. It is basically a weed and therefor an easy plant to keep in a pot on a window sill. Some people will even discourage you from planting it in your garden without proper boundaries. I've always been convinced you can never have enough of it though!

Fresh mint tea is probably the simplest way I use this herb. And probably the most often. Depending on the strength of your plant you pick enough leaves.

Bruise the leaves (twist and turn a little) to release the oils and put it into a mug with sugar to taste (the darker the better).

Pour over just boiled water and let it stew for a couple of minutes.
Easy as pie.

Coupled with a laptop and a dvd of choice it's my idea of regenerating.


*The other one I always think of strait away it basil. Have you ever put some into a vodka cranberry? Good stuff.

No comments: